I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Monday, July 20, 2020

The Rock Garden

At the end of September of our first year here, (2017) I finally tackled the Rock Garden, formerly known as "The Snake Habitat". It was a weedy, overgrown mess, full of brambles, small poplars, and clumps of sad, congested day lilies.

I laid a tarp down and started by digging up the lily roots, and putting them on the tarp. Spadeful by spadeful, I dug up the grass and pried out the little trees, carting many wheel-barrow loads back to the brush pile down the adjacent bush trail, and discovered that, yes, indeed....it was a rock garden! The two large immovable rocks at either end had been the starting point for piling more and more rocks..a literal rock garden. At some point, someone had thrown a bit of soil over it all and planted some lilies. From an e-mail to a friend back then, a quote:
"Today, I tackled the 'snake habitat'. It is cleared out! What a job. I ache. A tiny little guy came moseying along just as I was calling it a day. He looked so lost, I felt a pang of regret, but, its not like there are no other rock piles around!" 
I spent the better part of the next day prying up rocks, and trying to level the soil out. There was no way I was going to remove all the rocks, although I made a good attempt, and Hubby will attest to the fact that he carted off 3 ATV trailer loads to fill holes on the bush trails. I saved rocks that I thought would be good to border the sides between the end behemoths, and also did some scouting around to find more. I shook the lily roots out, making sure there were no weed or grass roots in the clumps, replanted them along the back side and watered them in well. I then had a pretty much barren garden-scape. Its been a work in progress...still is. A wonderful surprise the next spring, was the emergence of a bud from one of the lily clumps that was a little different, not your run of the mill day lily. I have since separated it out and given it its own space, and this year there are 4 buds rising up! A beautiful, apricot coloured lily.
I have creeping thyme spilling over the sides now, a pretty red dianthus, (a red version of Maiden Pinks), and herbs that prefer a dryer space, sage, lavender, thyme and rosemary.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks Rosalea :) Moving to a new province is gutsy for sure...scary, lol...but we made it. I'm envious of the distance you have from the neighbours. Blogging is fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I was just reading up on backyard chickens...maybe not this year, I already have too much on my plate! :)

      Delete