I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Spinning

Our local craft group is up and running again, but we are limited to 6 of us regulars, and have to practice Covid protocols. We meet Thursday evenings and have knitters, crocheters and spinners attending.

It's about a 22 km drive for me one way, including a detour to pick up a crafting buddy who can't drive at night. I'm not fond of driving at night either, especially now that darkness descends relatively early, and we live in an area that has a fairly high deer population. Thankfully there isn't much traffic.

Early in the spring, before we were shut down because of Covid, two people in our group who were spinners, persuaded a couple more of us to give it a go. It didn't take much persuading, as I've always wanted to learn how to spin. We borrowed a couple of spinning wheels, and got started.

I have to stabilize the wheel against furniture to keep it from sliding away!

I didn't do much crafting of any kind over the summer, but now that the garden is pretty much put to bed for the winter, I'm at it again. My first bit of spinning is kind of lumpy and uneven. As I keep practicing, it is easier to get a finer strand, but there is still a lot of inconsistency in my results.

Plied
I just plied my latest attempt, and have another lot of wool top to spin. When it is finished, I'll dye it some funky colours and perhaps knit a shawl.
On the Niddy-Noddy

My skein

 

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try that too. Happy crafting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about my old spinning group yesterday. It was the highlight of my week, once upon a time. Fun to spin, relax, and enjoy the company of other fiber lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it is relaxing to spin, and one can carry on a conversation while doing it! Just finished spinning a second skein.

      Delete
  3. My knitting/spinning/crafting group at the Pembroke Library has been shut down since last February. I used to go out to Rankin for the Thursday night group, but the night drive got to be too difficult. Once we are out of lockdown I'm hoping to bring the spinning wheel out of storage and get more dedicated to learning how to work it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not nuts on the night driving either, but I do enjoy our little group. Just got notice that we are shut down again because of the lockdown.

      Delete