I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Kitchen time...

We are currently experiencing a run of unseasonably warm weather for this time of year. The night time lows are what the daytime highs should be. It isn't terribly unusual to have a couple of 'tee shirt' days early in November, but this run of close to a week of them, is unusual. Yesterday the mercury hit 21.5C by early afternoon, rising from the overnight low of 10C. We have been experiencing gusty winds with this heat, although today the air is still, so guess the high pressure area is centered over us.

We haven't needed to light the fire for these last few days. This morning the temperature was a little cooler, sweater time inside, but still no need of a fire. I thought a little baking might be in order. 

I had roasted off a couple of my Sugar Baby pumpkins a day or so ago. I de-seeded, quartered and piled the pieces on a parchment lined cookie sheet with foil wrapped over the top. They took about an hour and an half to be fork tender. Once cooled, I scooped out the flesh and composted the skins. 

This morning I measured two cups of the pumpkin mush with the eggs, oil and applesauce, then pureed it with my immersion blender for a batch of pumpkin muffins. (I replace part of the oil in the recipe with applesauce.) I have never grown 'pie pumpkins' before, and am amazed at how orange and dense the flesh is.

look at the colour of that!

ready for the oven

ready for butter, and a cup of tea!

I set a batch of bread to rise in the kitchen warmth as the muffins were baking, then made up a batch of meatballs to put in on the bottom oven rack while the bread is baking. They'll be for the freezer.

several meal's worth

bread 'n balls

Intrigued by the gorgeous colour of the pumpkin mush, I've immersion blended the filling for a pumpkin pie, and it is waiting in the fridge to be baked off with supper. This is the first pumpkin I've used from this year's harvest and I think I'm liking them!! 

The sunset last night was an eye-catching display of colours, changing gradually from pale, to deep orange; then to deep pink, with the brilliant blue of the sky over-arching it all.
 

10 comments:

  1. All of your baked goods look so delicious! I wish I could reach right through the screen to get some samples - yum! Beautiful sunset shot too. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. I froze most of them in tins of 6, so we don't overdo it!!

      Delete
  2. I have a muffin recipe where I use half applesauce as well. Now I'm wanting pumpkin pie! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sub applesauce in a lot of things, for at least half of the fat called for in the recipe. Got busy, and didn't have enough time to bake the pie for supper, so, later today. I'll save you a piece!!!

      Delete
  3. I took a couple of pictures yesterday for a "pumpkin" puree I made, too! Hope to get them in a post today. Such a timely thing we've chosen to write about. Even though the weather is much too warm for this time in November. Have a wonderful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mama Pea. Its 21.7C this afternoon!! I'm taking some knitting out onto the verandah!! Pumpkin pie tonight.

      Delete
  4. "Bread n' Balls" Ha ha! Love it! The loaves look great and wow those pumpkin muffins!!! :) Our hot day is tomorrow, they're predicting 19, so Alex is going to get up on the roof to hopefully fix the chimney pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rain. This sure is good weather for getting those last things done before we get socked in with snow and cold, as I am sure it is coming! Hope Alex is successful.

      Delete
  5. What bounty! Thank you for reminding me I have a pumpkin to roast. Those loaves look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Susan. The weather is much more conducive to cooking and baking now, as it is cool and crisp out this AM.

    ReplyDelete