I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Monday, June 14, 2021

Floral rewards....

 When we moved here in 2017, there were areas around the perimeter of the clearing that had been mowed in the past, but were filling in with young poplars, and lots and lots of Spreading Dogbane. In fact, when I hand dug out the field garden, which is next to one of these areas, I dug up a LOT of Dogbane roots, and was still removing some for a couple of years. So far this year, none. Victory is mine! 

Yes, Dogbane is a member of the milkweed family, and the Monarchs nectar in it, but they do not lay their eggs in it. We started mowing this area after the plants bloomed, but before they set seeds. Gradually, the Dogbane has disappeared, and replacing it, all the native meadow flowers and grasses, which had been choked and shaded out, have emerged and have been getting stronger every year.



This year it is absolutely beautiful. (just click on the pics to make them bigger.) There are Buttercups, Oxeye daisies, red clover, white clover, yellow clover, tiny stars of white Stitchwort floating in the mix, orange and yellow hawkweed, several Cinquefoils, Fleabane, and many other plants I haven't identified yet. I just stand there looking at it and smile. This plethora of blooms is
alive with the buzz of life, bringing pollinators close to my gardensThe butterflies waft across it, sampling here and there, and I don't feel so guilty mowing the rest of the yard, when there is this bounty of food for the butterflies and other insects. We also avoid mowing all the big patches of blooming white clover, and don't cut them until they are brown and full of seeds, to hopefully spread them over more of the yard.

I rescued this Peony from along the side of the pond. A previous owner had planted a few things there, including Sweet Williams, a yellow lily, Shasta daisies and an Echinacea, then left the bush to encroach. It was a pretty sad specimen that I dug out two autumns ago, rinsing its roots free of their entanglements, then planting it on the far side of the rock garden in some good compost enriched soil. This year, what a reward it is giving me!


These Flanders poppies, I started from seed, and this year they are bigger and bolder than ever. I just love them, although, they don't last too long, breaking free of their bud scales, looking like crumpled red paper at first, then expanding to waft in the breeze for about two days before the petals drop off, leaving that big poppy seed pod.



This is a native wild iris. We call them Blue Flags, and they grow along lakes and waterways. I dug this one up from along a local shoreline on one of our fishing expeditions, and planted it beside the pond two years ago. It is thriving and producing baby plants and lots of blooms this year.


12 comments:

  1. What beauties you have saved and the meadow flowers are super striking to see. We would love for some of our fields to look so lovely! Did you take the picture of that stunning butterfly? I have never seen a butterfly that looked like that, and it’s awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you wyomingheart. My son took that pic last weekend. He has a fancy camera, and likes taking pics. The butterfly is an Eastern tiger swallowtail. They are quite common up here. They look so pretty against the mauve chives and love lilacs as well as all the other blooms. Yes, I am extremely happy with my 'meadow'!

      Delete
  2. Everything is looking so beautiful Rosalea. You sure do have a nice green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. I love rescuing old gardens and bringing them back to life. There were 3 of them here when we moved in, plus the struggling plants around the pond, plus another area where garden refuse was dumped when a previous owner worked at a landscaping business. I've rescued several different plants from there and they are going strong. Beats buying plants, and they are already acclimated!!

      Delete
  3. That iris is so pretty and delicate. I have one flower bed that's pretty rough, lots of weeds, and it had a bit of milkweed in it a couple of years ago. I dug it out (or so I thought) and it has come back three fold. Yes, I know it's good for monarchs, but this is crazy! Your peony is lovely. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. The iris are beautiful, and I may dig up more. I am going to try moving Marsh Marigolds this fall to add native colour to the pond edge as well.
      We have several big areas of Milkweed that we mow around, leaving them for the Monarchs. And yes, they are pretty tough!

      Delete
  4. Your experience with the dogbane is heartening to me. I don't have dogbane, but I struggle with horse nettle, which seems impossible to eradicate because the roots are so long and tenacious. Still, to know someone had victory is encouraging! Beautiful photos. All your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Leigh. I looked up Horse Nettle, and if it is the same thing, we have it further south in Ontario, here and there. Sometimes our harsher winters are a bonus!
      I want to get a patch of stinging nettles going somewhere around the edge, for food, as there is none around here. Continual cutting back of a particular plant is supposed to weaken it, but some of those tap roots just keep coming back, seemingly stronger!

      Delete
  5. I do envy your green thumb with blooming plants. It's something I just don't have. Or maybe it's that I've never given it the time needed. Sigh. We do have a patch of stinging nettles along our south line of deer fencing which only seems to get stronger the more I mow it down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love growing things. Every flower here is either a rescue, or I started it from seed. (Well, other than the bulbs) As long as you can grow the good food that you do, MP, I don't think growing flowers is too important, although I feel they are food for the soul. Do you ever eat your nettles? It would be nice to have some greens that come up naturally, and early before my planted greens get going.

      Delete
  6. The meadow flowers are so beautiful and so are you peonies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rain. They all give me a lot of pleasure. I've loved growing things all my life, but now have space and time to give to it.

      Delete