I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Thursday, June 24, 2021

Garden bits and pieces...and black gold

 We've had a couple of quite cool nights recently, but now the temperature forecast looks like we are heading into some much warmer weather. My cool weather crops, (cabbage, greens, beets, peas), have been coming along well. 

There is the odd bloom on some tomato plants, and one has a small green fruit forming, although they aren't in any hurry! The peppers look pretty sad, but are recovering from the frost singeing they got at the end of May. There are some blooms on them, and on doing a closer examination of the plants this morning, this is what I found!!


This a sweet variety called Carmen, and it supposedly turns red immediately. With our short seasons, there isn't enough time before frost, to wait for the California Wonder peppers to ripen to red. We like red pepper jelly, with a little added heat of a hot pepper or two, so I am trying this variety this year.


Here is a shot through my asparagus patch. It is thriving.  They were all started from seed I harvested from wild patches here and there. Next year they will be big enough to cut.

When we moved up here, there were 'sort of ' windows on the back porch. They were ill-fitting squares of framed Plexiglas,  on hinges, that lifted up in the summer to let the breeze in through screening. Hubby replaced them with proper windows we scored at an auction sale. (The windows were still in their factory wrapping!) This made the back porch more secure and weather-proof. We stored the old 'windows' up in the barn just in case we found a use for them. 

I've been frustrated each spring when my greens finally get big enough to eat, and then everything bolts because Mother Nature turns up the heat. I had a light bulb moment, dismantled the two biggest Plexiglas windows, (one is just over 4 feet wide, so fits right over my raised bed), removed the Plexiglas, wrapped the frame in two layers of row cover fabric, stapling it on, put little legs on the frame and placed it over the 'greens' bed. So far, maybe because it has been a coolish late spring, or, hopefully because of the shade cloth, my greens are looking good and the spinach is not even hinting at bolting!


Each spring, after the gardens are in, I like to put away a few pails of any remaining compost for future reference. Hubby made me a frame covered in half-inch hardware cloth, that fits over the wheelbarrow. I shovel the finished compost onto it, push it through with the back of a spade, and end up with some fine textured black gold.


It gets sprinkled along the rows of the little seedlings, and the courser stuff gets spread along the bean and onion rows. It is a little top dressing of nourishment for them.
Baby carrots

Next spring, I will have some nice compost to mix in with the potting soil when my spring seedlings are ready to have their pots up-sized.

17 comments:

  1. I've pulled a few garlic bulbs. One lot is not doing so well so there is no point wasting that space. I'm going to replant that patch in some sort of green stuff. I also pulled all the radishes as neither of us like them. I planted the free peppers we got a Gerbers. The second lot of beans has finally popped up! Every week more changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention I have baby peppers and tomatoes coming too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmer temps overnight will get things going now. I keep planting little rows of radishes, as we do like them. Haven't planted my second crop of beans yet. Waiting til July.

      Delete
  3. I am over here laughing at myself because I had no idea that's how asparagus started out. I always just assumed it came up just like it looks in stores from the very beginning. Your idea for the plexiglass was a good one, I hope it will help in the long run. Congrats on your new windows too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, Martha! Plant or animal, we all come from a seed! (Well, mostly.) Most folk plant the roots to start their patch, but I like to grow things from seed.

      Delete
  4. I've given up planting cool weather veggies in the spring because of quick heat up and bolting. Your shade bed is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year has been a little more moderate, heat wise...so far. Other than a few hot days, (and some very cool ones), we haven't gone directly from winter to summer. Time will tell if the shade cloth makes a difference.

      Delete
  5. Good idea with that plexiglass! You could even make a cold frame, too. I have given up on planting peppers. I never have good success. I'll just buy them from the store. With this week's rain coming, the gardens will explode! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of laying the Plexiglass sheets over the garden beds in spring to warm the soil up quicker. Commercial peppers are grown with a heavy load of chemicals, so I love having my own compost and manure grown ones. I dry a lot for pizzas throughout the winter. They re-hydrate beautifully.

      Delete
  6. My goodness, you are so organized! And brilliant, may I add - what a terrific use of the old windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I don't know about "brilliant"! Don't really know yet if it will work. I should have planted a control patch! We try to work out stuff using what we have.

      Delete
  7. Love that shade cloth window idea! I may need to borrow that next spring! You are very creative and resourceful! Thanks for sharing and have a marvelous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you wyomingheart. Ditto what I said to Susan! We are into heat and humidity now, so we'll see how it works out.

      Delete
  8. HI Rosalea :)) GREAT idea about the plexiglass! There is nothing worse than bolting when you have plans for dinner! Your asparagus looks like mine, it's really tall and hopefully next year I can harvest it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rain. As I said to Susan and wyomingheart, don't know yet if it really makes a difference. Yes, looking forward to asparagus next spring. It is worth the wait!

      Delete
  9. LOVE your posts about all that's going on in your garden. I have the same problem with my salad greens bolting way too soon each year. Years ago, we took one of our cold frame covers, removed the plastic sheeting and fitted it with shade cloth and found, as you have, that it helps keep the greens from getting way too much sun and heat. You wouldn't think that with our short growing season there would be ANYTHING that suffered from too much heat! Kudos to you for starting your asparagus from seed. You should be very proud of your efforts. My asparagus season is just starting to wind down now with some spears wanting to go to ferns. Can't complain as we've had a harvest that has been enough to give us all we want and supply two other families with big bunches! Love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mama Pea. I appreciate your comments very much, as I have enjoyed your gardens for years!
      We just came through a day and night of RAIN! 3 and 1/4 inches in the gauge, and now the sun is shining. The heat and humidity is brutal.
      I could have harvested a few spears of asparagus this year, but decided to let them fern out and put more energy back into the root. The plants are different ages, but next year they will all be old enough to harvest. Hubby doesn't care for asparagus, so...mine! all mine!!

      Delete