I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Saturday, July 17, 2021

A mid-July garden wander....

The asparagus patch has been a work in progress, as the plants were started from seed, so needed very little room at the beginning. As they grew, I've spaced them out, but used the excess room for other crops. Two years ago, I grew potatoes in beside the baby ferns, and am still pulling up the odd shoot from the “volunteer” plants that got missed when they were dug! I'll just keep doing that, as I don't want to disturb the asparagus roots now that the plants will be big enough to harvest next spring. Eventually, the spuds should just give up!


There was some room across the front of the asparagus patch, so I put in a row of sweet peas with a hardware cloth fence to support them. They are just starting to bloom now. (That is an Horseradish leaf creeping into the bottom right side.)
Sweet pea, one of my favourite scents. Next year the asparagus will have the whole bed to themselves.

This tomato plant is called 'Chocolate Sprinkles', and it is putting out pretty little sprays of dark green fruit. I'm looking forward to them ripening!

Tomatoes and carrots go together, so, tomatoes each end, and carrots in the middle. The carrots have been thinned, so now they can grow big...if they get the chance! They are perfect little munch-able orange cylinders  now!

This is the cole crop bed, kale, kohlrabi, turnips, (a couple of spare tomato plants in the end, because, can you ever have too many tomatoes?). The dill is in the middle to discourage the white cabbage moths, and spaced away from the dill, at this end, is the second planting of carrots under the hardware cloth, to protect the seedlings from whoever had a dig in it one night. Thankfully, not too much damage was done. The carrots are tiny ferns coming up now, and will be for winter storage. (That is a dill plant draped across the carrot bed. I've been thinning the dill rows and putting the plants here and there on the bed. There seem to be more white moths around this year than last.)

Bean blooms!...so beautiful. Soon we'll be swamped in beans....I hope. 

This is the cucumber pallet ramp, to keep the fruit off the ground and give the plants good air flow. At the rate they have been growing, they will soon cover the pallets and flow over the edge! There are blooms and tiny cucs in there! With all the rain we have been having, I'm watching for mildew. Those big leaves in the foreground are 'Little Gem', a red Kuri winter squash.


 The second lettuce bed, which has been grown under shade cloth from its onset. There are a couple of borage plants to the right, and a couple of remaining Pak Choi plants on the left. 

This is just a sampling, as I am trying to be mindful of our data limitations! Clicking on the pictures will make them bigger.

10 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! I'm really enjoying watching your garden progress Rosalea. Enjoy the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wander through your garden. Thanks for taking us all along. Tonight while watering I found our first slicing cucumber . . . about three inches long. Giving yours the pallets on sawhorses to climb on is a really clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mama Pea. I miss your monthly garden updates with pics. I enjoyed them so much when I was stuck in town! Glad your cucs are showing up!

      Delete
    2. Yep, I'm "missing" my garden this year, too. Having so many other big projects on the list for this particular summer, we made the decision to cut the garden by more than half for this year. I feel like a very poor gardener and am almost ashamed to have not that much to share. I am feeling like a pretend gardener. Also I feel like I've posted the same garden pictures year after year and that readers must be very tired of those blog posts. So don't encourage me or I'll be back at it next year!

      Delete
    3. Never tired of garden pics!! What plans you will have for next year!!
      We are being dumped on again right now. Wish we could send this rain over your way. We are absolutely SOGGY with all this moisture.

      Delete
  3. My zucs are giving trouble. I'm picking and tossing them like crazy with blossom end rot. From the rain"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another inch and three quarters in the gauge, from last night and today. My zucs keep putting out female flowers but no males, so still waiting for fruit.

      Delete
  4. Great photos! And…No… one can never have too many tomatoes! Just sayin!
    Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you wyomingheart. I could post so many more, but we limit our data...it is expensive here. The first ripe tomato IS the highlight of the summer!!

      Delete