I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Monday, August 9, 2021

Garden and wildlife....

We've been out of data for a little while, and the daily habit of checking e-mail and reading blogs got sidelined, but yes, I'm still here! The garden production is ramping up, and it is a daily task joy to pick and process. A friend has been hospitalized after a fall, and I've been trying to process some of her garden produce for her as well. Having also started the job of scraping and painting the verandah, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed! I'm way behind on reading my favourite blogs, and corresponding with friends! Any way, here are a few things happening in my neck of the woods.

I got my garlic dug up and it is drying up in the barn, on suspended old screen doors. Some of the cloves are fist sized.

wheelbarrow full

 

About a week later, I pulled the onions, as they were all laying down. They are now tied in bunches of 5, and hung up in the barn to cure. At planting time, I thought the sets were very small, but the bulbs they have produced are inspiring!


227, give or take a few

My pepper patch is doing really well now. We had a cold and wet weekend at the first of August, but now the heat is on, the long, sweet red peppers are turning red, and the green guys seem to get bigger overnight. I just need the tomatoes to catch up so I can get going on a batch or two of our favourite salsa and chili sauce.

Pic taken before they started turning red

I place large rocks in amongst the plants to absorb, then radiate heat back at night. 

I have two different eggplants, one is producing a dark oval shaped fruit, and the other is producing a long, somewhat thin, mauve coloured fruit.

Eggie

 

The squash and pumpkin vines are crawling out of the garden, and making so many new fruit that I've cut off the ends of the vines, hoping they will put their energy into enlarging the existing fruit instead of making more! I planted two hills of pie pumpkins and 4 hills of Little Gem, a red kuri squash, and in places the vines are crossing each other. The square white things are plastic lids I put under each fruit to keep it off the ground.

Best buds

I've started picking cucumbers, Straight 8's for eating, and have almost enough small picklers for the first batch of Bread and Butter pickles. The dill is tall and blooming, and hopefully will be ready for a batch or two of dill pickles as well. My inter-planted  marigolds and nasturtiums are taking off, and my morning glory trellis is daily producing more and more blooms.

Gorgeous orange

 

The double row of gladiola up the middle of the field garden are sending up spikes of buds, so soon they will be blooming and quarreled over by the resident humming birds. 

There are some big, ripening beefsteak tomatoes that I check on everyday, so anxious for that first, ripe, juicy fruit. The tomato plants are all loaded, thanks to the ridiculous amounts of rain this summer. I added up all my measurements from the garden calendar, and the total exceeds 17 inches; 9.5 inches in June, and 8.25 inches in July. We have had just over a quarter of an inch so far in August. We pumped the big water tank full in May, and it still sits there, just down a bit from the only watering I had to do around planting time, late May and early June!

The red guys are hiding, low and at the back


The trail cameras are not showing us many deer this summer, but perhaps that is explained by what seems to be a surfeit of coyotes and wolves. We are also seeing more bears on camera. One sow appears to have a yearling with her, as well as this year's cub. Along one of our trails through the old growing up fields, an apple tree struggles to stay alive where it is being shaded out. We have a video of a bear reaching up and pulling down the branches to get at some very green fruit. This pic was taken off of the video.

vertical bear


The bush is quieter, as the bird chorus has diminished, but the cicadas and crickets are filling that void now.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update and vegetable "tour." Over all, I think your garden is a bit ahead of mine, but we've had so little (understatement) rainfall all summer long that I'm pleased my hose and sprinkler watering has kept my veggies and fruits alive! We have hungry bears here, too, but so far we've not been bothered although they've been sniffing around homes nearest to us. Very large grasshoppers are showing up in our garden which I think is a sign of our drought conditions. I'm just hoping certain things mature before the grasshoppers get too prolific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could post more pics, but it eats data, and I really don't like being cut off for more than a week or so! What did we do before the internet???!!! As it is, I have to modify the size of the pics to reduce data usage.
      Having a water source (other than Ma Nature) is such a relief for a gardener. Minnesota shows up on our TV weather reporter's screen, and it has looked so orange and red for most of the summer. I think of you and your garden every time I see it! As for the bears, I am a little worried about our apple crop this year, as the blueberries got hit by the late May frost, so none, and the blackberries are still looking very green, despite all the rain we've had. Next year, we probably won't have apples, (or leaves, probably) as we are expecting a big Gypsy caterpillar invasion, judging by all the moths that were laying eggs. So I hope to process enough frozen and dried for a two year supply this fall. I fear I will be competing with the bruins though!

      Delete
  2. Well, I am certainly you got some awesome garlic! Ours were very sad this year! Those onions are great, too! I just have one thing to say about that bear…YIKES! We have a small black bear from time to time, but nothing like yours! Have your birds come back yet? It’s strange that they would flee, unless you are close to the fires. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, wyomingheart, not near the fires at all. The nearest fires in NW Ontario are well over a thousand miles from us. The birds quiet down this time of year, as they have nested and raised young and are now moulting and preparing to migrate south for the winter. Some have already left to establish territories in their winter ranges. It is the normal progression of the seasons here.

      Delete
  3. We haven't seen any deer or bears, though their scat is showing up.
    Our garlic did very well this year but the onions were a bust. The second planting didn't even come up.
    My brandywine tomatoes are like softballs. If they would just ripen. You know how it is in the Ottawa Valley, we could see frost any time after Labor Day weekend. :(
    Your garden looks magnificent.
    Have you considered going to a WIFI hotspot to upload some of your photos, etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of maybe trying to upload at the library next time. Sorry about your onions...too much water?? Another quarter inch last night and some big thunder boomers. Waiting patiently for those tomatoes!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Roselea! :) Oh this time of year is very busy isn't it? And I don't even have a proper garden! You've reminded me to get the heck out there and harvest my garlic...I've been neglectful. Your onions are amazing! And great tip about the stone for the peppers, so smart. Of the six seeds I planted, only 3 pumpkins came up and they are all males...I know...just SIX seeds you ask? That's all I had left lol...I didn't do a seed order this year because I have to still figure out the garden situation and so many other things are a priority right now! :) The cicadas and crickets are active here now, I feel like summer is just beginning! That photo of the bear is brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete