I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Gardening, Processing and Critters....

It's a beautiful August Monday morning. The sun is sparkling through the raindrops hanging on everything from the good Gardener's inch, plus, of rain we had overnight. My glads took a beating, and now we have an indoor bouquet to admire at close range.

 
It has been dry since August 11, with only the odd shower and no measurable amount of rain. I had to break out the hoses and do a little watering! There isn't as much ground to cover now, as the onions, garlic, beans and some carrots have been harvested, so just had to give the vine hills a good drink, as all the turnips, tomatoes and peppers are well mulched. Feeling down around at the base of those plants, one can feel the cool moist soil.   
Seeing all those areas of bare soil, I was inspired to buy a bag of buckwheat seed, spread it on them, scuffle it in a bit, and because things were drying out, I watered it for the first few days. I planted it on August 21. It was sprouting on the 24th,and this was taken on the 26th,
 
and this is today!

Man that stuff grows quickly!

This is our fifth growing season here, but only four with more than one garden bed. Every year has been an adventure, either too much rain, (2017, there were puddles as big as little ponds in the yard on the first of July, with wood ducks frequenting them! To 2019, with the August drought, and 2020 with the spring drought, and August deluges.) This year has been a good gardening year all round, really. In between the rain events, there has been lots of heat, especially in July and August. At times I've felt guilty to be getting all that moisture, when so many areas of the continent have been on fire....

So, the crops are coming in now, the tomatoes are ripening well.


I've never had such big, beautiful, unblemished fruit,
 and am planning a trip or two to the local food bank, as I do not need it all. I've picked a few peppers and dried them for winter pizzas,
and the bean harvest is winding down.
Thankfully, the forecast is moderating, the heat and humidity is supposed to ease as we head on through this week, so I'll be able to do my processing in the kitchen, instead of on the verandah.



We have not seen too much activity in the bush on the trail cameras, but just yesterday, we picked up the SD cards, and there is the fawn with her mom, much bigger, her spots fading.


On the same camera, a little later, this is what appeared, 

and then this,

the curious culprit bounding off to keep up with mom!

6 comments:

  1. Great photos on the trail cam! Oh gosh, I need to set up some kind of system to can my food outside. It's been so hot. Not that I have too much of a garden, but when I see things at a good price, I try to buy a lot and preserve. Your tomatoes and peppers look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rain. That little black ball did some camera 'readjusting'! We've since moved it to another tree to prevent a repeat offense. It has been a good gardening year here.

      Delete
  2. My brother in law has been doing his canning outdoors down at Lake Clear. We did ours indoors with the AC running full out.
    Why did you plant buckwheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No AC here. We decided not to have it, although the solar system would support a small unit. We adjust to the temps, and have been fine this summer. We close all windows and pull shades on the sunny sides once the sun gets up above the tree line, E side AM, W side PM. Our house is situated pretty much square, front facing south, and that side is shaded by the verandah. Once the temperature equalizes in the eve, we open up, and sometimes put a fan facing out in an upstairs window, to draw in cool air downstairs. Buckwheat...a great fast growing, green manure crop. we'll turn it under before frost, which will be long before it can set seed...I think! It is sure growing gangbusters!

      Delete
  3. Curious as well…buckwheat? Your produce looks excellent! It has been a stellar tomato year here, as well! Bush hog mowing this week, and thankful the weather temps have finally dropped to high 70’s during the day. Blessing to you and have a perfect week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a good year for moisture here, for sure. I don't know if that is why the tomatoes are so perfect (mostly), or if it is the variety, as I had to buy the plants and took what I could get after my home reared seedlings were frost fried. Some of them are severely lacking in good tomato flavour! Temps are moderating here as well, only 10C (50F) this AM. Look above for my answer to Karen re the buckwheat answer. Thanks wyomingheart. You have a great week as well.

      Delete