I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Sunday, December 11, 2022

How one thing leads to another....

 December 11, 2022

Presently, I am cleaning the oven.


One recent evening, I popped an apple pie into the oven, and, horrors, forgot to put a pan under to catch the drips. Not bad at the time, pie came out, I saw the mess, but darn it was late. A job for tomorrow.

Last night, (its dark in my small oven, with no light), popped in the clay pizza pan to preheat because it was pizza night. Here I am prepping the toppings, (I harvested the three small peppers off of my indoor pepper plant and used them).....and that awful burning smell arose. NO! I hate, hate, hate a stinky oven. It totally destroys the pleasure of the good aroma of stuff baking in there. Well, I smeared the smoking mess around a bit in the hot oven, trying to get at least some of it out...

This morning, a great day, the snow is falling, the ground is whitening, yeah, yeah yeah! Motivation for Christmas baking, but darn, I have to clean that oven!!! So, here I am, waiting...... I should use a baking soda paste, but I want to bake, so have cheated and am using up the last smidge in a spray bottle of Easy-off. Gloves, mask and window open.

As well as trudging along on the Papilon shawl, (I'm on the 7th and last page of the pattern) I've done a bit of sewing. There is always a pile of stuff that needs mending, and I make myself work through that before I do any of the fun stuff. Somehow, just recently, I've been hooked into replacing a zipper and fixing a pocket on a neighbour's favourite hunting coat. I have until next November....!!!

So, I made a little quilt sandwich, and fashioned a pouch for my NEW Kobolibre2!



Yes, I've given in. A lot of books I'd like to read are in electronic format. Our library is small, and yes, they can get books in on loan, but it takes a while, and if there is something I'd like to read, I'd rather strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. It will be an adjustment, because to me, there is nothing as good as holding a real book in one's hands. 

Another small project is a Japanese knot bag. I've cut it out, but that is as far as I've gone yet. 


So, the waiting continues...Hope the motivation remains! And YES, the snow is falling, falling, falling!!!


6 comments:

  1. Hooray for your snow! Finally! Here's hoping it becomes the foundation for lots more for you this year. Oven cleaning. Ugh. True confessions: I always scrape off my pie burblings- over but as far as cleaning the whole dang oven? Not going there. The shawl you're working on has a 7-page pattern?! I would run screaming the other way. Kudos to you for tackling it. Gonna make a second one? Hee-hee. I, too, love holding a book in my hands and reading, reading, reading. But I do love my audio books also and know I will "listen" to many more books than I have the time to read or inclination to slog through some that are detailed, informative and from which I learn something but ones that don't necessarily "entertain." Glad you're getting the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "in for a penny, in for a pound"! Might as well do the whole thing, besides, that pie goo was pretty stuck on at the hot temperature needed for pizza! Yes, 7 pages, row by row instructions...and the way the colours change as you knit is addictive...I might just make another, but not for a long while, I'm thinking! I am not a shawl person, so it will probably be gifted. The Kobo does audio as well, so, looking forward to that, but have to go to the library to set it all up because of our lack of data. Still snowing!!!!

      Delete
  2. You've been busy! I think cleaning the oven is one of the worst jobs to do, but ovens do get messy and it needs to be done. I love that you're getting some knitting and sewing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a thing of beauty now! When we moved here, the previous owners had used it a lot, and never cleaned it. It took me a couple of days and several applications to get it usable. Love a clean oven.

      Delete
  3. It took me awhile to get comfortable with EBooks but now I'm on to them. Amazon has lots of free books if you subscribe to Unlimited. We have a Prime account because of the business anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to getting it up and running. I prefer a book in my hand, but am sure I can adapt!

      Delete