I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Thursday, May 16, 2024

Yard visitors and bush wanderings.....

May 16, 2024

 This little guy came walking tentatively toward the pond one afternoon. A feisty small snapper. That is a quarter on his back for scale.

This hen turkey has been absolutely determined to find any leavings on the ground under the bird feeders. At the least movement or noise from inside the house, she runs off, her big turkey feet flipping up.

Marsh Marigolds are brightening up wetter areas along the roadsides...
I went a-wandering in a friend's deciduous bush, a little south of here. What beauties on the forest floor, and the serenading from the leafing-out branches above... So many warblers, thrushes, tanagers and an oriole....
A carpet of wild leeks and trilliums...
past their best, Dutchman's Breeches.
Yellow Bellwort,
Jack-in-the-pulpit..
downy yellow violets...

Foam flowers.... but look a little more closely...

A little foraging along the way...

A wonderful day roaming the woods. The blackflies and mosquitoes cooperated, and were tolerable.



4 comments:

  1. I like your trillium header -- very timely. I killed my first mosquito inside my den here in CP, so I think they'll be swarming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AC. Mosquitos on the bedroom window screen yesterday AM for the first time...Blackflies were very voracious here this morning as well. Goes with the territory!

      Delete
  2. Have you been to the new knitting shop in B.B. yet? My pal Teresa is open weekends on Arbor Vitea Rd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have checked her web site. Looks interesting, but crafting is on hold until the gardens are sorted!

      Delete