I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Kicking it up a notch...

 August 22, 2026

 Compost making, that is. 

The 'Bush Buggy' got pressed into service for mixing freshly cut grass and dry leaves saved from last fall. The mixture got forked into the compost bin, watered, and now is cooking like crazy.

I am upping my compost making, as I'd like to try an experiment and convert a couple of the raised beds to 'no dig' next summer, and that requires a good layer of compost to get started. 

The buckwheat planted where the garlic was removed, is doing very well.

Cucumbers are still going strong, tomatoes are ripening and the last planting of beans is being picked and processed for storage.

I did a little foraging for choke cherries this week, 

and found that bears had beaten me to most of them, evidenced by pushed down vegetation and broken branches on the shrubs. I did manage to pick enough to make about 4 cups of jelly, and froze the juice for future processing.

There are a few ripening blackberries here and there,


but to seriously go after them, one must don heavy duty pants, long sleeved shirts, and wear at least one leather glove on the non-picking hand! 

Our apple trees are loaded with fruit, and the apples' cheeks are getting rosy. 

After the rain events we've had this summer, the bush is riddled with fungi. 

Big ones...

Small ones....
Colourful ones...


 Just very cute ones...

 Differently shaped ones...


and deadly ones...




No comments:

Post a Comment