I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Mycology

We had a few 'pop-up' thunderstorms over the weekend, and Sunday was particularly warm and humid, a good time to go foraging for mushrooms. So, we headed out for our weekly, (more or less), walk around the trails to exchange the SD cards in the trail cameras and see what was new in our woods.

Well, there are mushrooms popping up everywhere, and I was lucky enough to find a King Bolete, a choice edible, before the slugs and bugs got to him, his pore surface was still smooth and white.

I've been gradually expanding my knowledge of the wild edibles here, with the help of several good mushroom guides, and the internet. I do spore prints and combine all the information I can, until I am positive of an ID. After poring over many, many mushroom pictures, you begin to get an eye for them, and begin to know which section of the mushroom guides to look at first. I do know which mushrooms to leave alone, the white amanitas and the numerous LBJ”S, (little brown jobs), that are so hard for a newbie to ID. There are surprisingly few deadly mushrooms, once your really start looking into the subject.

We have Parasol mushrooms on the property, another choice edible. They have very long stems and a large cap, and are unmistakable when you see them. I've been checking the spot where they come up, but so far, none. We did find one in a new place along the trail, but I left it to spread spores and make more. 

 

Half of the King Bolete was sliced and well cooked in a little butter. We each had a couple of slices, delicious, then waited until the next day to finish it. I returned to the spot I'd picked it early Monday morning, and sure enough, there was another one, young and fresh and unmolested by bugs. It got sliced, sauteed and added to out spaghetti sauce for supper.

 

4 comments:

  1. I would love to learn how to do that. I'd be afraid I'd grab the wrong ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been interested in wild edibles, and now have the time and inclination to pursue it, although at this time of year, the garden takes up a fair bit of time! Its best to learn the wrong ones first!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love mushrooms (store bought), but have been afraid to trust my knowledge to gather the wild ones. My husband has always expressed an interest in getting to know and use all wild edibles but so far neither of us has taken the time to pursue it. What are we waiting for??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Pea: Thank you for dropping by! We just walked around to the trail cameras, and there are mushrooms absolutely everywhere! One could go a little crazy trying to figure them all out!

      Delete