I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Picking, Digging and Processing

It has been a busy few days. Picking and processing beans has been a daily affair. Yesterday I canned a batch of Hubby's favourite relish in the morning, his Grandmother's recipe, then picked beans and dug up the garlic in the afternoon. This morning, after processing and freezing yesterday's bean picking, I canned a batch of salsa. It is so rewarding to walk out and pick the ingredients needed, from dirt to pot in just a matter of minutes! Later today, I pulled my onion crop. The garlic is laid out on an old screen door to dry and cure, and the onions are tied in bunches of 10 and hung from the ceiling, both crops are up in the barn. They will stay there for several weeks, then, some day in September, I'll take a chair up to the barn, sit in the sun and clean and trim all the bulbs, then gently pile them in storage bins for their winter stay in the cold room.


I did a final picking of bush beans this afternoon, then pulled the plants. The climbing beans will continue to produce until frost. It feels good to start reducing the garden, and get it stashed away. The cucumber patch is slowing down, but I'm hoping for a few more to make a batch of dill pickles as the dill will soon be perfect for that. 

This coming Tuesday, I am going to have cataract surgery, so want to be caught up as much as I can. I had my left eye done last September, and was scheduled to have the right one done in April, but Covid changed that. It will be good to have both eyes on the same page...so to speak! At the moment, I am near-sighted in one eye, and far-sighted in the other. Knitting or doing close work for any length of time is headache inducing!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I wish I could do things like that, but I seem to able to kill a sill plant. Best of luck with your eye surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! I just love growing things, and being now retired, have lots of time and space to do it!

    ReplyDelete