I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Friday, May 7, 2021

Life is bustin' out all over!

Most of this week has been cool and rainy, and I've spent some time walking the stone fences, looking for flat stones to make a flagstone walk to the front door. This idea has been in the back of my mind for some time. I want a rustic look to match the big stones already at the doorstep, with the stones set in flush with ground level, so the mower can go across them with no problem. The plan is to then plant creeping thyme in the gaps between the stones, so the aroma will drift up whenever we step on it. 

The verandah doorstep. (yes, verandah is due for paint this year!)

Most of the rock fences are composed of glacier rounded, granite stones, but here and there are some nice slabs, flat on both sides. I only took ones that were quite near the surface of the fences, because I don't want to dismantle what someone spent so much time and energy making. I feel a sort of responsibility to the folks that built the fences.


Hubby hitched up the trailer to the ATV and came around the trail to the closest point to where I found the biggest slabs. It took a bit of shimmying around to get the trailer into the bush so we wouldn't have to carry them far. Some were quite heavy, but we could roll them end over end on their edges.


I have quite a collection, and now comes the work of cutting the sod and laying them in place. 

Pin cherrys and wild plums are blooming here and there in the bush, a drift of white blossoms seemingly suspended in mid air. Red trilliums are blooming and the pale green, sturdy spears of lady slipper orchids down in the bush behind the barn are up about 3 inches. Its a slow, cool spring, but we are getting a good bit of rain, which makes me optimistic about the future of the blueberry crop.



The Ruby-throated hummers aren't here yet, but I expect them any time, and have the feeder filled and out. Yesterday, a pair of Bluebirds appeared in the yard, the sun gleaming on their unmistakable blueness, as they flew from pole to post, to apple tree. We have several bluebird nest boxes around the edges, but so far have had no takers. In past springs, I've watched them check out the boxes, sitting on them and going in and out. I live in hope that some spring they will stay and make our clearing their home. 

The Phoebes are busy renovating their nests up in the barn rafters, and late yesterday afternoon, a Rose-breasted grosbeak showed up at the feeder with his distinctive black head, white breast and bright red ascot. 

This was taken a few springs ago. At present, the leaves are not that far advanced.

The White-throated sparrows are here, singing their distinctive “Dear old Canada, Canada, Canada”, and yesterday for the first time, I heard the Oven birds calling “Teacher, teacher, teacher”. Some warblers and vireos are here. I managed to get the binoculars focused on a Yellow-rumped warbler a few days ago. Soon we'll be hearing the beautiful notes of the Wood Thrush, Veery and more warblers. The woodland orchestra is tuning up, and soon we will have a full performance.

9 comments:

  1. A few years back we had a disastrous grub infestation. A lot of our grass died. My thyme jumped the herb bed and took over the bald spots in the front yard. It smells so beautiful after Mike mows it. We also have oregano that has naturalized in the back. Not as spectacular as it's cousin, but still nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the family farm where I spent my formative years, wild thyme grew all over. When it bloomed, the blooms were alive with pollinators. It does naturalize well.

      Delete
    2. oh yes, the bees love it.

      Delete
  2. Those big slabs of stone look so heavy and sounds like your plan will be a lot of hard work. I don't think I could do that kind of hard labor anymore. I'm sure it will look beautiful when you're done. Glad too see spring has sprung! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not so bad. I peeled the sod today. We have a utility cart that I can use to move the rocks around. I made a walkway to the back door with 2'X2' concrete patio slabs the first summer we were here. They were heavier than the rocks I've collected.

      Delete
  3. What a descriptive post of spring truly busting out all over! Any and all of our blooms are quite a ways behind yours. I'm up early this morning and the outside temp reads 31° . . . again. :o( Moving and working with those slab means you won't have to go to the gym for your weight training. (Hee-hee.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a chilly start here again today, white frost all over but the thermometer says it is a smidge above freezing??? The Ruby-throated Hummer zoomed in just at 6PM last eve, and the sun is now shining. Have a beautiful day, MP.

      Delete
  4. What a great post! Those slabs look great, and will be there for a long time! I never thought of the thyme in the grass. It is a very interesting idea, which I may need to borrow! Our birds are starting to hit the feeders daily, and last year we did have a set of bluebirds nest in one of our houses, and I hope they come back. It is nestled in a pine tree in the back yard, where it is very quiet, so fingers crossed, they’ll be back! Have a perfect week, and don’t work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, wyomingheart! Taking today off! My memories of our old farm are always permeated with the scent of thyme, as it grew all over. I guess I am trying to recreate it in our new home. It was a purple feast for the eye, and for the bees(!) when it bloomed.

    ReplyDelete