I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Saturday, December 4, 2021

Snow, snow...Beautiful Snow!!

 This morning, finally...a lovely dusting of snow has fallen, a beautiful curtain of white flakes, visible as the daylight grew. There is a brightness to a snowy morning, even though the sky is grey. The silence is a palpable thing, and you know before you even look out, that snow has come. 


We've had a skiff or two over the past weeks, but they have melted off every time. From -8C (18F) this morning, the temperature has risen to -1C (30F), and the sun has emerged, so the roof is dripping and this lovely white blanket may not last, but I am hoping it will, as the forecast calls for -10 tonight. 


December has arrived, so I've put up a few red ribbons and bows to welcome the season, and have strung a wire of very efficient LED lights across the front of the verandah. They will reflect very prettily out on the snow tonight.

On the crafting front, I finished piecing the poinsettia wall hanging. There is enough of the dark red for binding, but I haven't got enough of any of the fabrics to back it, so am waiting for a trip to town to find something to match the little swatches of fabric I am taking with me. I have yet to peruse my button box, as the pattern calls for sewing red buttons at the base of the green pieces, to simulate holly berries.



This quilt is called Blue Ribbon Twist, but I am calling my version Ribbons and Stars. I've had the pieces cut out and stored since we moved, and have been working away on the blocks. The fabrics are all prints with various celestial bodies on them, comets, shooting stars, moons etc. I hope to get it together for a sky obsessed friend, sometime in the future.


The Christmas pudding is made and stored, a couple balls of cookie dough are resting in the fridge, ready to be rolled and baked. I'm planning a town trip next week to pickup anything I need for the recipes I've planned for our festive meals. It feels good to get some of the preparation done. Having a plan to execute makes the holidays much more stress free. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, your blanket of snow is lovely. And so are your quilt squares! I have to admit that here in the southern US, our weather doesn't lend itself to feeling Christmasy. We were out in t-shirts for the past couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh. The blanket of snow got a little deeper last night...Yay! We moved further north because we love winter. I just envy you having a longer growing season than us, but it goes with the territory.

      Delete
  2. We now have snow on the ground, too. It's starting to feel a lot like Christmas! As always, love seeing your handwork . . . of all kinds. And, yes, it's so true that having plans made ahead for the holidays eliminates a lot of the stress. Wise woman, you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went from snow, to rain on Monday, then back to cold and snow now. What a weather yo yo we are having, as the forecast calls for above freezing this weekend... Those dreaded words, "green Christmas" are being bandied about by weather forecasters. I am not happy!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have that blanket of goodness! Love your crafting! Such pretty colors! I have always wanted to make some quilts, but I just don’t seem to have the knack for it! Could it be that my being left handed has anything to do with it?…don’t know… lol ! Have a lovely day, and thank you for the kind words on my blog about Milo… our little animal families can certainly be heart healing and heartbreaking…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wyomingheart. That blanket of goodness is getting soggy now, as it is raining!!! YUCK!
      I am left handed, so that is not an excuse!!
      The memories of our animals get sweeter and the heartache eases, as time goes on.

      Delete