I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Sunday, January 9, 2022

January? Not according to this weather.....

 Well...it is January, and the weather is not January-like. Our temperature has been going up and down like a yo-yo. We've gone from mild and rain, to beautifully cold, crispy squeaky boot walking for a day, and now we are a little above 0C. Tomorrow we are supposed to plunge to even colder temperatures, and the wind is ushering it in now, howling around, the temperature slowly dropping back below the freezing mark.

We don't have a lot of snow cover, just enough to get one thinking that maybe snowshoes should be brought out and readied for use. There have been a few brilliant sunny days, but they've been few and far between. 

I've been doing some baking, some sewing and some knitting, and going for regular daily walks. 

I tried my hand at a bit of colour work, and made this simple cowl, holding one colour in each hand. One colour is knit English style, the other Continental style. It sure keeps the yarn from getting tangled up.
This is a summer top, knitted with a new to me yarn, a rayon/bamboo. It is very slippery and a little 'splitty', but the summer top is now complete, blocked, and is drying. The edges are all I-cord bind offs, a very nice finish to the garment.
This morning, I got out my graphed garden bed sketches, and have penciled in prospective plantings, made and sent a seed order.
Best get it in before all those 'sold out' banners get splashed across the seed order site's pages! I've ordered 3 blueberry bushes, compliments of a gift card from a friend. The local wild crop has been very inconsistent, and it would be nice to have a small harvest we can count on. 

 Recently I retrieved my dried cayenne peppers, ground them up in a coffee grinder I reserve for such things, and have a nice little amount, enough to last quite a while.


In the woods, the deer are slowly progressing down to their winter yard, a few still showing up on the trail cameras. 


7 comments:

  1. Have you checked out the yarn shop in Barrys Bay on Arbor Vitae Rd?
    Thank you for reminding me to crack my seed catalogues today. I need to phone my brother in law down at Lake Clear to see what he is planning so we can coordinate. I think my contribution to the family pantry is going to be a lot of herbs. That seems to be something I can grow with great success in this gravelly soil. He's already promised me parsnips and carrots which are an utter fail here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it best to get the seed order in early, as last year things were sold out! Not yet on the shop, too much Covid, so we are staying close to home. I thought you had raised beds? I am constantly adding organics to this sandy, gravely soil, and can grow good carrots and 'snips.

      Delete
    2. I do have four raised beds. One is full of strawberries, another garlic. Which leaves two. We want to grow more food that we can put by. My brother in law has three large gardens at his new home out by the lake. He really only planted one last season, kind of on the fly, so we are trying to optimize what we are produce this year. We have two logs left to cut on our old potato patch so there is a slight possibility we might get that back in use this year.

      Delete
    3. I often think of the families that once lived on this old farm, and how much ground they would have had to turn over to supply enough food for the big families they had, as well as for their critters. What I do is just playing, compared to what they did! I think its a good idea, especially this year, to try and grow as much as we can!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Martha. For some reason it is not showing up here. Today is beautiful and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, your knitting is so lovely. I've not tried the new "bamboo" yarns yet, but assume they would be so silky soft, no? I ordered a re-supply of my garden seeds last fall because I kinda panicked what with all the folks new to gardening ordering as never before. Glad to hear you could still get all you wanted. We've been in cold, cold winter time for a while now. Seventeen below (Fahrenheit) this morning and one more night coming up like that before we moderate a bit. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -19.7F here this AM, clear, starry sky...I'm lovin' it! All I need is MORE snow to make it perfect! I am a northern girl. I love layering up and going outside. Yes, the bamboo is 'slinky, soft'!

      Delete