I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Monday, August 7, 2023

Summer stuff....

 Some pretties....

 Lots of buds this year....

A big fat Monarch worm.....there are so few this summer....

 

Knitting and minding the boiling beets...pickles in the process....

Cucs coming along....
Dill almost ready for cucs....

 Lots of green tomatoes. The waiting is on....

Bunching basil for drying...

Basil and sage hanging to dry. For those two, I prefer this method to using the dehydrator. Also I can pretty much forget about them until fall. Bags are all perforated with a paper punch for air flow.

Prepping parsley for dehydrating...

More trumpets!!!! Yummmm...

Garlic harvest... Fat and juicy!!!

Root cellar progress....Still a long way to go. Roof timbers and vent needed, entry way and doors to be built, crushed stone to be spread inside. Yes, a drain was installed at the beginning. Hardware cloth and tar-paper is ready for wrapping, then the job of moving the monster, weed covered piles of earth back to bury it all.

And finally, the newest members of "our herd"...





4 comments:

  1. My garlic was terrible this year but the tomatoes and peppers are bountiful. Taking their time ripening though. The Brandywines are HUGE! Do you have oregano? I have a big bush, but not sure what would be the best way to dry it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on the oregano. I dried some early, when it was fresh and new, and before it bloomed. It dries well for me in the dehydrator. I have some big Mule Team Toms. coming along, and a volunteer Brandywine in the compost bin. I'm willing to share garlic.....either fresh, or bulbs for planting in the fall???

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing all the pics of what's going on around your homestead. Yes, the gardens are really putting forth the harvests now, aren't they? My garlic isn't ready for pulling yet so I'm using the old from last year in my dill pickles. It's starting to get a little "less than firm" but I think it'll be okay. Must get on drying my herbs. Have done none of them yet except for peppermint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting a little nuts now, but everything is wet from the rain and the heavier overnight August dews. I am afraid of mildew starting, especially on the cucs. Must get out and do more 'shrooming. The weather is good for that! Wish I could share my garlic with you!

      Delete