I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Thursday, October 19, 2023

Still growing and blooming....

October 19, 2023

The sun was shining through the young beech leaves this morning, casting a golden glow on the world.

Here and there, a flash of colour lingers.

The oaks are starting to change colour now.

Under our crab apple tree, this year's single puff ball grew and grew...
September 30

October 13

 The water tanks are all drained and stored for the winter.

60 fat garlic cloves are nestled into the earth, mulched with leaves and covered with screening and rocks.



The baby plum trees have had their trunks wrapped to prevent vole incursions over the winter, and then fenced to deter deer nibbling.
The pond is very low. By spring it will be full to the topmost step visible in the photo...hopefully.

The spuds have been dug, cured, brushed off and stored. Red, Gold and Russet.

There has not been an hard frost at all yet. A few asters and nasturtium seeds I poked into the new perennial bed later in the summer, are now blooming.

A couple more of the sad little rutabaga seedlings I also popped in there have come into their own. The last two are showing their mettle. We ate one of the previously harvested ones at Thanksgiving...so delicious.

Marigolds are still a cheery blast of colour, and a small bed of spinach is doing very well under it's deer deterrent cage.
Radicchio, arugula and a few lettuces under deer deterrent screening are really enjoying these mild fall days.




8 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good Rosalea. I need more of those deer deterrent cages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The season is winding down. These long, drawn out falls with no major frosts we have had the last couple of years, are giving me ideas for fall, frost hardy crops, and bigger deer deterrent cages!

      Delete
  2. So organized! The colours are beautiful. We still have lots of glorious colour in the general area. Today it is raining (and raining and raining). I have never planted garlic, perhaps because I never do a proper job of preparing my soil at the end of the season, or perhaps because I don't have a designated bed. I planted rutabagas for the first time this year and they did quite well. If I do it again, I should thin them even more. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drizzling here today as well. I rotate the garlic to a different spot each year. The bed was prepped earlier with rotted manure. I find rutabagas each need a good 18 inch square to thrive. I really did not expect to see anything from the tiny seedlings I put in late in the summer. Couldn't bear to just throw them away...

      Delete
  3. Those Autumn leaves are beautiful; your garden is lovely and all those potatoes, what a crop. We grow garlic and some potatoes but not as many as you as we just grow them in bags, but always nice to eat freshly dug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, and welcome. So lovely to meet another gardener! Before we moved up here, I grew potatoes in bags, and yes, they are a treat.

      Delete
  4. Hope to get out and plant garlic today - if it ever stops raining. Cold nights coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot drier today. Hope you got your cloves in!

      Delete