I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
John Burroughs

Monday, September 7, 2026

Furry guys, Mushrooms and Sourdough.....

September 7, 2026

Labour Day...definitely. 

This morning we cleaned up the wood yard, and got the grass cut.

There are so many other things to keep us busy around here, that the job of splitting and piling the last of the log rounds, was put on the back burner, but done this weekend.   

 So good to finally get the woodshed topped up. Full.

 In a few months we will be starting the process all over again, but for now, job done.

In amongst the wood chips was this furry caterpillar...


I think it is an American Dagger Moth Caterpillar.

Across the front of the house, out near the line of bush between us and the road, is a damp area that doesn't need to be mown hardly at all as it mostly grows lovely moss. Today I walked it, throwing off any branches that had fallen from the trees, in preparation for collecting the leaves that will be falling. I need a clear run as the leaves are collected with the mulcher blades and the bagger attachment on the mower. The reward for that was...

a handful of fat puff balls that will be sauteed in butter and added to the menu. Yum. 

On the apple is a fellow that I found when picking up the fallen fruit under the trees in the yard, a daily chore this time of year.

I think this guy is a Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar.

On a bush wander earlier in the week, this beautiful Lion's Mane mushroom was found on a dying beech tree.  

In the garden, there are now enough red peppers to make a batch of red Pepper Jelly. A few hot peppers in the mix give it a nice zing. 

Recently, I have been bitten with the Sourdough Bread making bug. The first two loaves were abysmal, inedible, and got composted. Gradually I am getting the hang of it. The last two loaves have rapidly disappeared...so delicious. I had no idea.

Second last loaf, a little chewy, but good.

The loaf I baked off this morning. Much much better, but still room for improvement. Making sourdough bread requires patience, and about 24 hours from start to finish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment