September 7, 2026
Labour Day...definitely.
This morning we cleaned up the wood yard, and got the grass cut.
There are so many other things to keep us busy around here, that the job of splitting and piling the last of the log rounds, was put on the back burner, but done this weekend.
So good to finally get the woodshed topped up. Full.
In a few months we will be starting the process all over again, but for now, job done.
In amongst the wood chips was this furry caterpillar...
I think it is an American Dagger Moth Caterpillar.
Across the front of the house, out near the line of bush between us and the road, is a damp area that doesn't need to be mown hardly at all as it mostly grows lovely moss. Today I walked it, throwing off any branches that had fallen from the trees, in preparation for collecting the leaves that will be falling. I need a clear run as the leaves are collected with the mulcher blades and the bagger attachment on the mower. The reward for that was...
a handful of fat puff balls that will be sauteed in butter and added to the menu. Yum.
On the apple is a fellow that I found when picking up the fallen fruit under the trees in the yard, a daily chore this time of year.
I think this guy is a Spotted Tussock Moth Caterpillar.On a bush wander earlier in the week, this beautiful Lion's Mane mushroom was found on a dying beech tree.
In the garden, there are now enough red peppers to make a batch of red Pepper Jelly. A few hot peppers in the mix give it a nice zing.
Recently, I have been bitten with the Sourdough Bread making bug. The first two loaves were abysmal, inedible, and got composted. Gradually I am getting the hang of it. The last two loaves have rapidly disappeared...so delicious. I had no idea.
Second last loaf, a little chewy, but good.
The loaf I baked off this morning. Much much better, but still room for improvement. Making sourdough bread requires patience, and about 24 hours from start to finish.








For a very brief moment you had me thinking that there exists a sourdough bread bug.
ReplyDeleteThere is one, AC! The starter is a living thing, It's addictive.
DeleteWhen I first met Miriam, twenty-four years ago in five days, she gave me a jar of red pepper jelly made by one of her sisters, and to this day it remains the best red pepper jelly I have ever eaten, although some of the local Mennonite farms do it well. I will be happy to do a taste test on yours - just a public service, doncha know? Let me know when you need my address!
ReplyDeleteIt is a lovely little zip of flavour on whatever one chooses to put it on.
DeleteHappy Anniversary!
I love red pepper jelly. And your sourdough bread looks so yummy. I can almost smell it through the computer.
ReplyDeleteThank you Barbara. I love to bake, and using sourdough is just a new iteration for me.
DeleteI whipped up a new batch of sourdough starter this week. Hopefully this one works.
ReplyDeleteI have a good strong, bubbly one and I will share!
DeleteI am tempted to try red pepper jelly. My peppers are all still green, however. Good for you with the sourdough bread. The most adventuresome I ever get is dragging out the bread machine! -Jenn
ReplyDeleteThe jelly is delicious on lots of things, and is such a lovely pop of colour. This summer, peppers and tomatoes seem to be taking longer to ripen.
DeleteI love it that you are having sourdough success. My starter got shoved to the back of the fridge when the summer days got so hot and I had trouble keeping it from overfermenting. If the temps ever actually start feeling like autumn, I'd like to try again!
ReplyDeleteThe sourdough bread is keeping very well in the waxed cotton bags I made a while back. My starter was in the fridge for a long time as well, but perked right up when I got it out. They are hard to kill!
Delete